Re: Using Objective-C with gcc 3.2 on RH 8.0

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Using Objective-C with gcc 3.2 on RH 8.0
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 17:21:43 +0000 (GMT)

> > I looked at GNUstep but can't figure out how to make it all work.
>
> Just to clarify my statement above, I installed GNUmake, and then
> proceeded to install GNUbase. When I do a ./configure on GNUbase, it
> says, sorry - you must first run the GNUstep initialization script!
>
> What initialization script?

Type on the command line

. /usr/GNUstep/System/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh

It should work, but if you've got problems with that, please let me know.

I think the 'gnustep howto' document inside gnustep-make might be of help.

> There's NO MENTION of it in the INSTALL file, and I can't find one
> anywhere.

Ok - thanks for reporting - we'll add an explanation to the INSTALL file
then :-)

> Talk about frustrating! I wonder how many people give up trying to use
> GNUstep at this point ...

Maybe we should also make the "You must run the GNUstep initialization
script first!" sentence more explanatory, it seems that it has been
confusing for you.

If you have any more suggestions on how to make it simpler/easier, let us
know.

Thanks.