Problem starting gdomap

From: Kjell Heskestad
Subject: Problem starting gdomap
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 16:22:26 +0100

Whenever I try starting gdomap (as root), it responds: "gdomap: Unable
to bind address to UDP socket. Perhaps gdomap is already running" + a
message asking me to start it as root.

Now, "ps ax" doesn't show any sign of gdomap, and gdomap -N results in
"failed to contact gdomap on dawnrazor(192.168.0.66) - Connection
refused". iptables allows everything on eth0 and lo, though if I
disable it completely, "Connection refused" is replaced with "Operation
in progress", but according to ps, gdomap still fails to start.

It's a bit baffling. I've been searching google and list archives,
experimenting with firewall settings, hostname settings, "gdomap -a
file" and such. My system runs RedHat 8.0, with the most recent GNUstep
files compiled and installed.

I've enabled xinetd/portmap (are those necessary for gdomap?), and
/etc/services contains the correct entries for gdomap.

I'd be very grateful for help, as I'm itching to start writing/using GUI
GNUstep apps. :)

regards,
{
  Kjell Ø. Heskestad