Re: XFT2+fontconfig for the xlib backend

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: XFT2+fontconfig for the xlib backend
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 01:13:38 +0100

Hi Derek,

I am interested in this code. Currently there is only XFT1 running on my machine, but still it is nice to prepare for the future.

Fred

Derek Zhou wrote:
I've ported the xlib backend from XFT1 to XFT2+fontconfig. Is anyone interested? How do I submit a patch?
The pros:
Support both bitmap fonts and scalable fonts; the scalable fonts will be AA'ed. If you have to, you can toggle between the old fashion X font rendering and the XFT2 rendering by one simple defaults write.
The cons:
Slow. Even slower than the art-backend. (Doesn't make sense; I need to investigate) But still usable on my 400M K6. Derek BTW: How do I profile a bundle, eg., the backend? I've added "profile = YES" in the GNUMakefile, but it doesn't seem to do the trick.