GNUstep cookbook.

From: Marko Riedel
Subject: GNUstep cookbook.
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 23:24:16 +0100 (CET)

Hi folks,

I was thinking about GNUstep and how to contribute to this project. I have
noticed that I have learned a great deal by studying other people's
GNUstep code. E.g. some of the first applications that I wrote evolved
from code by Fred Kiefer. Later on I often found myself programming by
grepping for bits of code in the GNUstep sources and adapting it to my
needs.

I wonder whether it would be worthwhile to start a GNUstep cookbook
project, which would consist in a document that unites code snippets for a
diverse array of problems that a beginning programmer is likely to
encounter. There would also be explanatory documentation for those code
snippets. One of the great strengths of Perl is the quality of the
documentation that comes with it. I was able to become a moderately
competent Perl coder simply by adapting code snippets that I found in the
copious Perl documentation. Maybe we could obtain a similar effect for
GNUstep?

I would suggest that the cookbook be available in different formats: there
should be a code archive that people could use to extract code snippets
and adapt them, and there should be a document, possibly written in LaTeX,
that caters to people who favor a traditional kind of read. It would
include explanations of each recipe.

We would have to decide on some kind of editorial process so that we can
ensure the recipes are bug-free and truly offer quality solutions, e.g. we
don't want 200 lines of code when 50 will do.

What do you think? Let me know if you are interested. We could include a
diverse array of problems, e.g. how to load the contents of a directory
into a browser, how to set up an event loop that responds to mouse drags
in a view, how to do non-blocking IO, what kind of methods to implement
for drag-n-drop etc. etc.

Best regards,

Marko

Bis zu 100 MB Speicher bei http://premiummail.yahoo.de