Re: Font system integration

From: Pete French
Subject: Re: Font system integration
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 22:15:20 +0000

> Besides those pluses, there is a problem. Problem is with printing.
> Fonts presented in font panel are backend fonts, but they are also
> used in printed documents (when you print a text view, for example).
> If printed into a .ps file, all non-ghostscript standard fonts are
> undefined.

This same problem existed on originsl NeXT systems. There was a command
line utility (who's name I have forgotten) that dumped out the PS
description of a font into a file. You then printed that file and it
defined the front on the printer. Ugly, but it worked. The TTF and
X11 fonts pose a much bigger problem though unfortunately.

Woiuld be nice if we could do everything in back-art and only use PS fonts...

-bat. [wishfully thinking aloud...]