Re: Fwd: Re: Instant Messenger Application ?

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: Instant Messenger Application ?
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 18:39:57 -0800

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 20:35:30 -0500
"Yen-Ju Chen" <yjchenx@hotmail.com> wrote:
> From: "Alex Perez" <aperez@student.santarosa.edu>
> To: <yjchenx@hotmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Instant Messenger Application ?
> Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 16:24:43 -0800 (PST)
> How difficult would it really be to make Fire (described and linked by
> Yen-Ju below) work under GNUStep? Would the interface need to be
> rebuilt under Gorm? I have access to OS X based Macs and would *love*
> to have a real GNUStep IM app... What can I do? Their website
> unfortunately has no screenshots, so I'll have to download it and make
> some of my own.

You'll have to take a look at Fire's source to see whether it is worth
the trouble porting it.

First of all, you'll have to re-do the UI, either with Gorm, or
Renaissance (or try running nib2gmoldel - not sure if/how it works)
then you'll have to get the code working ;-)

The biggest problem is that Fire is using NSToolbar quite excessively,
and to a lesser degree, NSDrawer. Both are not available on GNUstep yet.

> What can I (or anyone else for that matter) do?
> In a more general sense, there are a number of decent (and useful)

Yes, there are.

> Cocoa apps that could probably be (somewhat?) easily ported over to
> GNUStep.

It is easier to write for GNUstep, then "port" it over to MacOSX, as
Ludovic has proven.

--
Chris