Re: Objective-C++?

From: Josh Rendlesham
Subject: Re: Objective-C++?
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 15:10:06 -0800

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 00:29:11 +0200, "Tobias" <ibotty@web.de> said:
> btw: this is just one example, there are some nice things, that are worth
> reusing from kde. (speak about kfile plugins for gworkspace)

I agree. Even beyond KDE there are a fair number of OSS C++ libraries
that would prove to be useful if accessible from Objective-C. I
personally was sort of interested in using the FOX GUI toolkit (written
in C++) and the gnustep-base library together in an Objective-C program,
taking advantage of the features offered by both. But in order to do so,
a C wrapper would have needed to be written around FOX, which would then
have needed to be wrapped with Objective-C code. Such a wrapper could
probably be written much cleaner if Objective-C++ was used.

Objective-C++ support might help provide even more useful Objective-C
libraries built around existing C++ libraries and code, possibly allowing
for Objective-C to become a more useful language under systems like
Linux, *BSD and Windows. While it can be abused or misused, I would think
that the benefits would be more than worth it.

 Josh Rendlesham

--
  Josh Rendlesham
  rendlesham@fastmail.fm