GNUstep filesystem layout change

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: GNUstep filesystem layout change
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 20:01:28 -0600

I'd like to commit some patches that implement the formerly discussed GNUstep filesystem as described in:

http://www.gnustep.org/experience/documentation.html

under 'Filesystem Specs'. Among other things this would standardize a bunch of directories that are currently in pretty odd places, as well as truely encapsulate library resources (like gnustep-base).

Unfortunatly this change moves around a bunch of directories like Headers and Libraries and Makefiles, so it's possible it could break some things. The most common change, if any, include:

1. Remove any definitions of GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES (already in GNUstep.sh)
2. Replace any instance of $GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT/Makefiles with $GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES, e.g. in configure and GNUmakefile files. 3. If you try to access system resources (say, of gnustep-base or gui) in other than the standard way, you might need to change the way you do this. For instance you could use the NSBundle extension methods

+bundleForLibrary: (to look in a libraries resources).

and (the not yet commited)

+pathForLibraryResource:ofType:inDirectory: (to look in the 'Library' dir).

Let me know if you have any thoughts.

--
Adam Fedor, Digital Optics Corp.      | I'm glad I hate spinach, because
http://www.doc.com                    | if I didn't, I'd eat it, and you