Re: GNUstep filesystem layout change

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: GNUstep filesystem layout change
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 15:01:23 +0100 (BST)

> Also, in the case of a server offering network mountable applications,
> it is said that <server>/Network/Applications should be mounted
> on <client>/Network/Servers/<server>.

The document is wrong.  It hasn't been updated (I suppose) for lack of
time.  Forget about Network/Servers. :-)

The real case is that in the current GNUstep setup you can have a single
"master" network server, and all other machines mount their Network domain
entirely from that server ... the *whole* Network domain, including
Applications, Tools, Libraries, Library, Frameworks (whatever the
directory layout is, all of them).

Because GNUstep supports fat applications, tools, libraries etc via
library combos, the same Network domain can contain binaries for multiple
platforms/machines/architectures, so all machines in the network,
regardless of their type, can mount the same directory from the same
single server.

It all works because the Network domain is always put in all paths.