Re: [RFC] Header organization of -base & -gui

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: [RFC] Header organization of -base & -gui
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 12:31:58 +0200

Hello Richard,

Thanks for jumping in!
Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

On Thursday, July 3, 2003, at 10:23  am, David Ayers wrote:

and the following files should be part of -baseadd:
preface.h
GSFileHandle.(h/m)

Do we really want to expose these? I'm not sure how feasible it is. Certainly we would need quite different versions of the code to work with the MacOS-X foundation.

Hmm... GSFileHandle does have some useful features, that don't seem to be part of the superclass' interface. If it's meant to be part of a class cluster, then fine. But looking at the header it seemed more than that. It also inherits from NSFileHandle which doesn't declare any ivars that could be gnustep specific. So I assumed, it would at least compile on OS X. I didn't expect it to use any features available on GNU/Linux, BSD and Darwin but not on OS X. But you know better what it does, so it's your call.

I wasn't sure about preface.h, but are you sure it shouldn't be public? Not that one should compile Tools/defaults on OS X, but this tool seems to use it (along with some headers on Source/Testing) If you really think those declarations should be private, then fine. If some belong in GSObjCRuntime maybe, then lets move them and then make it private.

GSLocal.(h/m)

I don't know about this ... is it worthwhile and portable to MacOS-X?

Adam, could you say something about this? I had the impression that these where meant to be public. I wouldn't have a problem with them just logging error messages on OS X, if it's a hastle to make them portable.

GSUnion.h
GSIArray.h
GSIMap.h

Yes, these were always intended to be public.

Thanks for the verification.

Cheers,
David