My obj-c compiler vanished...

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: My obj-c compiler vanished...
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 12:23:52 +0200

Hello to all,
(especially peter Cooper, since I know he follows NetBSD, even if on another
architecture)

I synced to CVS my netBSD/68k box. I premit I was able to build everything
about two weeks ago, except that nothing was usable for a stupid bug
problem.

RIght now I resync CVS and begin "configuring" things again to be on the
safe side. I follow the procedure:

- configure -make and isntall it
- make objc-lib and install it
- reconfigure -make and reinstall it

nor I reconfigure -make and I get the idiotic message:

checking whether objc really works... no
I don't seem to be able to use your Objective-C compiler to produce
working binaries!  Please check your Objective-C compiler installation.

If I check config.log I find:

configure:2922: checking objc/objc.h usability
configure:2935: gcc -c -g -O2  -I/usr/pkg/include -fgnu-runtime
-I/usr/GNUstep/S
ystem/Library/Headers conftest.c >&5
configure:2938: $? = 0
configure:2941: test -s conftest.o
configure:2944: $? = 0
configure:2954: result: yes

later on...
In file included from configure:6884:
config/config.objc.m:5: warning: incomplete implementation of class
`NXConstantS
tring'
config/config.objc.m:5: warning: method definition for `-length' not found
config/config.objc.m:5: warning: method definition for `-cString' not found
ld: warning: type and size of dynamic symbol `__objc_class_name_Object' are
not
defined
configure:6866: $? = 0
configure:6868: ./conftest
Shared object "libpthread.so.20" not found

So this seems a bug already discussed... I hope someone fixed it.

I cite a message I got in reply from the NetBSD Mailing list (Frederick
Bruckman):
<<
The problem is that the run-path is not being inserted into the
"/.conftest" binary, as the "-R" option is ignored by gcc 2.95.3.
The latest automake + libtool may convert that to "-Wl,-R" if gcc is
detected (unless it's a custom macro), but an easy work-around is to
set LD_RUN_PATH='/usr/pkg/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib' in your environment
before configuring and building.

so I do this:
setenv LD_RUN_PATH '/usr/pkg/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib'
and then ./configure again

I get:
checking sys/mount.h usability... no
checking sys/mount.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: sys/mount.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: sys/mount.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: sys/mount.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result

but I ignore this.

Now configure terminates. Build begins. It it goes to end will be known in a
while. But can the required steps be fixed and integrated in the official
tree?

Regards,
    Ric