Re: PATCH: Find more ObjC methods

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: PATCH: Find more ObjC methods
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 16:52:16 +0200

We really have two issues here:

1. Behavior. Should the compiler use prototypes of methods declared only
in an @implementation outside that @implementation?

2. Warning. Should the compiler warn when a method declared only in an
@implementation is used outside that @implementation?

Currently, we achieve (2) through (1). The patch changes (1), and thus
we lose (2).

(2) is a convention, but a very useful convention, and it's used a lot
in eg. GNUstep. The compiler should, IMO, warn about this. I don't care
much about (1), though, and using the prototype does make sense from a
consistency pov.

Thus, I'm ok with changing (1) to find the prototype, as long as the
warning remains (optionally, at the very least, and I guess, reworded).

- Alexander Malmberg