Re: PATCH: Find more ObjC methods

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: PATCH: Find more ObjC methods
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 00:14:41 +0200

Ziemowit Laski wrote:
> On Sunday, Oct 5, 2003, at 07:52 US/Pacific, Alexander Malmberg wrote:
> > 2. Warning. Should the compiler warn when a method declared only in an
> > @implementation is used outside that @implementation?
[snip]
> > (2) is a convention, but a very useful convention, and it's used a lot
> > in eg. GNUstep.
>
> And what does this convention buy you?  You wind up warning about
> methods
> that are _always_ available!  :-)

?

I'm not really sure if this statement is intended as a joke, as the
smilie implies, or not. Do I need to explain why conventions, in
addition to what the language enforces, and with help from the compiler
in following them, are a good thing?

[snip]
> Perhaps in the future,

Is there any good reason why it can't be done now?

> when we unify the the ..._INTERFACE_TYPE and
> ..._IMPLEMENTATION_TYPE
> data structures, we can also define a METHOD_HAS_PROTOTYPE() bit in
> ..._METHOD_DECL, and you
> guys could key off of that to generate the (newly-worded) warning?
> This would have to be
> enabled via a flag, since our resident NeXTies would almost certainly
> _not_ want to see this
> warning. :-(

They see it now, so I don't think it'd kill them to keep seeing it. :)

- Alexander Malmberg