RE: Debian and SimplyGNUstep

From: Vaisburd, Haim
Subject: RE: Debian and SimplyGNUstep
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 14:46:53 -0700

From: Chris B. Vetter <chrisv@web4inc.com>

> By default, GNUstep installs into /usr/GNUstep. See -core/compile-all.

Sorry for misinformation. I consistently get it in /opt
even for clean installs. Does that mean that configure
reads GNUSTEP... environment variables?

> I'm aware you're talking Linux here, but let me just add that not every
> (other) OS does have /opt...

But Eric was talking about Debian, which is, I presume, Linux... ;-))

/opt seems to me like a good place for "packages" like GNUstep, kde, qt etc.
that have their own directory layout. If there are reasons for not having
or not using /opt, I would like to learn them.

Tima.