Re: deferred deallocation of local objects

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: deferred deallocation of local objects
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 13:06:03 +0100

PS. If we are to change the DO protocol, there is one optimisation I might like to add ..
piggyback proxy release messages on the end of message replies.

In the common case where a message has a an object argument passed by reference, the current system has a network read to get the request, a write to send the response, and then a write to release the argument. If the release was part of the reply packet, we would reduce this to two network write operations ... which might be a significant
performance gain.

The other (perhaps better) approach is to defer sending of release messages until either a number have accumulated, or a timeout occurs, and send multiple releases in a single packet (I already added support for multiple releases in a single packet). This is not quite as elegant, but works for situations where all the messages being sent are oneway-void so there are no reply packets.