Re: non-x window manager

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: non-x window manager
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 19:01:57 -0700

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:46:43 +0800
"Rogelio M.Serrano Jr." <rogelio@smsglobal.net> wrote:
[...]
> Directfb can work without X now and it has an integrated window
> manager. I wonder if someone is writing a backend for directfb.

IIRC, Chad Hardin was working on something like that.

> I used to work with xdirectfb. Alpha blended windows is cool!

Eye candy... Nice to look at, but you don't really *need* it...
Then again, it's a matter of taste...

> > Generally, the problem would be that you will have to somehow "map"
> > a legacy window (one created XCreateSimpleWindow() for example) to a
> > window that GNUstep knows/understands, ie. NSWindow.
> > The AppKit (-gui) doesn't provide anything like that, so you will
> > have to go to a lower level, which is -back.
> How about extending AppKit?

Well, AppKit is more like a development "platform". The proper way to
implement the functionality you are looking for would be at back-end
level...

> Dont know much about gnusteb-back but it would be a good start to
> "hack up" an existing backend.

That's what I said ;-)

--
Chris