Re: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality contr

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: Re: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality control)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 12:15:16 +0200

I think the way to go would be to define a "GNUstep Reference Platform", that means defining/creating a base distribution that contains only the absolutely minimal stuff needed* to get GNUstep running. This GNUstep Reference Platform could then be the starting point for others providing a full featured GNUstep System, it should not be though of as a Joe Q Public thing.

The main goal of this would be to set a standard against which to develop GNUstep applications, so developers know, what they can expect "to be there". This GNUstep Reference Platform would of course not be carved out of stone forevermore, but evolve along the lines GNUstep itself evolves: there would be a GNUstep Reference Platform 1.0 and after a while a GNUstep Reference Platform 1.1 and a lot later maybe a GNUstep Reference Platform 2.0. The point here is to change this definition not all to often and only after after due consideration, not every time a new version of GNUstep is available.

I think this is an excellent idea.
I am willing to write and maintain that document.
What do others think about this?

Dennis