Re: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for qualitycontro

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for qualitycontrol)
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 22:30:33 +0200

On 23.10.2003, at 09:58, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
on 10/23/03 3:27 AM, Helge Hess at helge.hess@opengroupware.org wrote:
There is something else which does exactly that: Mozilla. So a central
question is what is better about Rennaisance? Mozilla has a pretty
excellent cross platform UI framework.
I never programmed it, but as a user, I hate it. I was soooo happy when
someone started prgramming Camino, the geck with the aqua look.

Yes. The major thing which was done wrong in Mozilla is not implementing the XUL widgets using the native widgets of the system. This is exactly the reason why OPENSTEP/NT was suboptimal and why Java/Swing is a mess. Yet, Mozilla has the technology to back XUL widgets with native widgets which is why the technology is actually pretty nice and it only really breaks on MacOSX.

Not just for
the look (ok, it is just looks like any other apps, has a better UI and
doesn't focus on themes or such) but also for the usability and speed. I was even going to ask the authoer if this thing could be ported to GNUstep. I don't know how he handles the gecko engine, if he as wrappers or if he needs
Obj-C++ stuff.

Well, Camino is IMHO the wrong approach for dealing with the issue. Mozilla could do better (and does better on Windows and gtk+!) at the very core.

regards,
  Helge
--
OpenGroupware.org