Re: Should window manager bring menu back ?

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: Should window manager bring menu back ?
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:16:23 -0700

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 19:56:39 -0700
"Chris B. Vetter" <chrisv@web4inc.com> wrote:
[...]
> Mapping and Unmapping is task of the window manager, while it will
> send a X11 notification to the client that the window
>   a) will be un/mapped
>   b) has finished un/mapping.
> This to prepare the client for a possibly necessary redraw.
[...]

Ugh, I should read once more, before I click Send.

This isn't entirely correct. The Un/map goes back and forth between the
client and the server.

Because the server will generate a MapRequest if any of the  clients has
specified SubstructureRedirectMask instead of actually mapping the
client.

On the other hand, you'll get a MapNotify back if the window gets
mapped, telling your client which window exactly and where it is mapped.

Additionally, you will get a couple of Expose events, depeding on
whether backing-store is set (and when it was set!). You may get no
Expose at all, or a complete-window exposure or even several, depening
on whether the window is fully visible, or partly obscured.

Well, yes... X11 can be confusing...
As the UNIX Hater Book states: X11 wasn't developed, it escaped...

--
Chris