Re: StepBox v1.2

From: copal
Subject: Re: StepBox v1.2
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 18:29:25 -0600

allow me to re-phrase: been there, done that. IWM started as an objc rewrite of aewm. then i scratched that and started an objc rewrite of sapphire. scratched that. then blackbox. scratched that. then i went back to aewm and grew IWM from there, with a more objc style design. perhaps not the best design to start with, but it's morphed into something bordering on sane in my opinion (after seeing what objc code can become when it's done poorly).

the scheme is simple if you take time to weed through the code:

        1. IWMWindowManager : the window manager itself
                - deals with X events
                - deals with Notifications
                - maintains NSArray of IWMScreen objects
                - maintains NSArray of IWMClient objects

        2. IWMWindow : the IWM window object
                - the abstracted X Window
                - maintains images for the window (see IWMGraphics)

        2. IWMScreen : the representation of a single display
                - maintains a Root window
                - maintains Cursors, Fonts, Colors, GCs for the Root window
- contains a single IWMTheme (to allow virtual desktops w/ different themes)

        3. IWMClient : the client window
                - maintains all subwindows of a client
                        - parent window
                        - application window
                        - IWMTitlebar (contains buttons)
                        - IWMResizebar (contains left/right resize grips)

        4. IWMIcon : application icon
- icon for an application, allows selection of a client, shows hidden client windows

        5. IWMGraphics lib : abstracted graphics routines
                - IWMImage (IWM wrapper around an IWMCoreImage)
- IWMCoreImage (wrapper for whatever graphics lib we choose, currently libwraster)

        6. IWMCoreUtilities : wrappers around X primitives
                - helps remove any X calls from the brunt of the code base
- ian