Re: StepBox v1.2

From: copal
Subject: Re: StepBox v1.2
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 21:20:12 -0600

like i said, "weed through the code". once of the nicest things about objective-c code is that the header files are almost books in and of themselves. but if it's documents you want, i'll generate the headerdocs right now and commit them under the Documents folder (which is what i've meant to do for a while, and why i cleaned up some of the headerdoc comments the other night).

on the topic of minimalism...IWM is, at it's core, very minimal. you've got a client structure, with it's required decor (titlebar, resizebar, close button, etc.), and a manager for said client structure(s). the IWMIcon class may be a "convenience", but a neccessary one, as people tend to prefer to not have thier workspace completely cluttered with app windows that they can not hide or minimize in some fashion. the rest is a slew of objects to manage X primitive types (Window, Screen, Pixmap, etc.) and abstract away from the mess that managing these types becomes.

sure, the inclusion of an external graphics library may be deemed unnecessary to the creation of a fully functional window manager, but i, myself, don't want to be responsible for a window manager that looks like it's from the 80's, nor would i expect many people to use it (even if it *is* written in objective-c).

you say "we do not have 2, 2, 4, 5 and 6 and I don't think we will" (misnumbering my fault :-), but you *are* writing this WM in objective-c, neh? one of the keys to OOP is identifying what should/should not be an object, what tasks should/should not be methods, and working from there. if you only have a window manager class and a client class, you're going to end up with two very LARGE classes, and one nasty mess. i'm not trying to piss on your effort by any means, but i'm speaking from experience: IWM at one point had, i think, 3 classes. X programming is very complicated (in a this-really-sucks way), and there's a lot that goes into making even a simple window manager. hell, i'm still stunned by how much i've had to put into IWM just to get it to this point...

anyways - back to the headerdocs for everyone's enjoyment...

- ian