Re: GNUstep on MS Windows

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: GNUstep on MS Windows
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 20:00:12 +0100

On 03.12.2003 18:46:32 Stefan Urbanek wrote:
>This is valid point. Problem is not non-interest in Windows port, but in
>knowledge of Windows API.

Same here.

>So, to sum up the answers for GNUstep on Windows question:
>- GNUstep can work on Windows
>- it is unstable
>- PB does not work
>- D&D does not work
>- (what else is missing?)

A lot of people I talked to miss the Windows native look and feel.
Currently GNUstep draws it's own Widgets.

A better way here would be what I call the SWT approach: SWT, the Standard
Widget Toolkit for Java is part of the Eclipse Project. What makes it
outstanding is the use of native widget functionality in contrast to the
SWING approach which - like GNUstep - draws the widgets by itself. More
Information:
http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-SWT-Design-1/SWT-Design-1.html

The pro of the SWT approach is that you get the native look and feel of
the platform you are on instantly (even themes installed by the user). The
cons are the necessary stubs that have to be done for each platform you
want to support. But I think if GNUstep wants to be a serious cross
platform application development framework it has to go this way. Windows
Users (and professional Developers) are not that tolerant to the toolkit
mixture that is common practice under UNIX.

>Is it feasible to use GNUstep on Windows? And ... can I count on GNUstep
or
>should I rather look for some other development environment?

Do you really want to do C++? And learn another API? Oh wait, just go for
it!

...then you can come back after a while with your newly gained knowlegde
and help the GNUstep Windows port... ;-)

>Stefan Urbanek

greetings, Lars