Re: GNUstep on MS Windows

From: Chris Hanson
Subject: Re: GNUstep on MS Windows
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 15:15:13 -0600

On Dec 4, 2003, at 9:16 AM, Björn Giesler wrote:
Look-and-feel issues aside, of course. However, I agree with Pete -- we really should have a working, stable(!) implementation before we worry about what the buttons look like.

I'll agree with this to a point.

The concern is, though, that the project needs to be careful to not preclude the use of native Windows controls where possible.

I'd love to be able to take the Renaissance calculator example, build it in Xcode, and demo it on Mac OS X. Then build it on the command line on a Linux box and demonstrate it there, with no code changes. And *then* build it on the command line or in Visual Studio on a Windows box and demonstrate it there, with no code changes.

I'd love it even more if the Windows version looked and felt just like a native Windows application, because then I could actually use it to ship commercial products to end users. But even without that, it'd still make a great demo and might be acceptable for mission-critical custom applications and enterprise development.

  -- Chris

--
Chris Hanson <cmh@bdistributed.com>
bDistributed.com, Inc.