Re: GNUstep on MS Windows

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: GNUstep on MS Windows
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 08:15:14 -0800 (PST)

Granted that they look more like MS-native widgets, then they would under
GNUstep.   I believe that the point is that we need to get GNUstep *working* on
Windows such that there are very few bugs (relative however many bugs there
normally are at any given point. ;) ) and *THEN* we concentrate on getting the
look and feel to be more windows-ish.   Plain and simple.

Using native window widgets directly does not fit into the paradigm of
OpenStep/GNUstep in which the widgets are drawn by drawRect: using postscript
commands.   So simply plugging in windows widgets wont work.   The best ew can
do is to approximate the look of Windows or whatever other OS we're
implementing a new look and feel for.

GJC

--- Pete French <pete@twisted.org.uk> wrote:
> > To make screenshots on MS Windows:
>
> *snip* thanks!
>
> http://toybox.twisted.org.uk/~pete/os_nt.jpg
>
> Opened up EOModeller, InterfaceBuilder and ProjectBuilder there so
> you can see how the apps look, and dragged a few controls onto a window.
>
> -bat. [and yes, I still read my email using /usr/bin/mail :-)]

=====
Gregory John Casamento -- CEO/President Open Logic Corp.
-- bheron on #gnustep, #linuxstep, & #gormtalk ----------------
Please sign the petition against software patents at:
http://www.petitiononline.com/pasp01/petition.html
-- Main Developer of Gorm (featured in April Linux Journal) ---