GNUstep <-> Cocoa compatibility

From: Artem Baguinski
Subject: GNUstep <-> Cocoa compatibility
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 19:39:46 +0100

hello

since the year have grown old and a new one is approaching i decided to
learn some new computer toolketry...

it's not the first time I consider to learn GNUstep - i saw presentation
of [i guess Adam] at the first FOSDEM (when it still was called OSDEM)
and was quite facinated by the Objective-C and Foundation/GNUstep base.
But i haven't had an opprtunity to use it after - alas.

Nevertheless I've learned to use a lot of other tools and gained some
experience designing software and coding it. Finally my company decided
to take Mac OS X users in mind and suddenly i face the new and exciting
challenge of writing software for different flavour of *nix then the one
on my own machines.

At the same time i'm dreaming to start my own pet project and although
i'm not concerned about its portability, I'd like to use at least some
of the new tools I'll have to use for work. this way i intend to learn
new way of thinking faster ;-)

I wonder though, how portable GNUstep based applications are?

As i understood from documents, Cocoa and GNUstep are both
implementations of OpenStep but Cocoa being proprietary (?)
implementation evolves while GNUstep tries to be nice. Does that mean
GNUstep application may have problems running on MAC OS X and using
Cocoa libraries?

Another question is how consistent the interface of GNUstep application
is when run in Cocoa environment? As I figured from this month's mails
in the archive the widgets have to draw themselves, does this mean
GNUstep windows will look very different from "native" cocoa windows, or
will the gnustep application use "native" widgets when built and run to
use cocoa libraries?

Are there any applications out there that look equally consistent when
run in WindowMaker + GNUstep environment and aqua + cocoa?

--
gr{oe|ee}t{en|ings}
artm