Re: GNUstep <-> Cocoa compatibility

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: GNUstep <-> Cocoa compatibility
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:28:32 +0100

Hi Artem,

due to the festive season trafic on this mailing list is a bit low, so I try to answer your mail until somebody with more experiance in the Cocoa-GNUstep porting is available again. Keep in mind that I don't have access to an Apple MacOSX computer!

Artem Baguinski wrote:
since the year have grown old and a new one is approaching i decided to
learn some new computer toolketry...
it's not the first time I consider to learn GNUstep - i saw presentation
of [i guess Adam] at the first FOSDEM (when it still was called OSDEM)
and was quite facinated by the Objective-C and Foundation/GNUstep base.
But i haven't had an opprtunity to use it after - alas.
I think Adam was giving his great talk on the second FOSDEM, but never mind.

As i understood from documents, Cocoa and GNUstep are both
implementations of OpenStep but Cocoa being proprietary (?)
implementation evolves while GNUstep tries to be nice. Does that mean
GNUstep application may have problems running on MAC OS X and using
Cocoa libraries?
This depends on what you want to do. If you just take the GNUstep code and suply a new NIB file for MacOSX not many problems should be expected. Even better, if you write your Application with Renaissance, than it is protable right from the start. If you on the other hand want to use the GNUstep GUI on top of MacOSX there are still some problems to be expected.

Porting the other way, from Cocoa to GNUstep may be more difficult as Cocoa has further evoloved and you may easyly be using classes more methods that are not available for GNUstep.

Another question is how consistent the interface of GNUstep application
is when run in Cocoa environment? As I figured from this month's mails
in the archive the widgets have to draw themselves, does this mean
GNUstep windows will look very different from "native" cocoa windows, or
will the gnustep application use "native" widgets when built and run to
use cocoa libraries?

See above. Best thing is to only transfer the code.

Are there any applications out there that look equally consistent when
run in WindowMaker + GNUstep environment and aqua + cocoa?