Templates (Was: Re: File Useability question)

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Templates (Was: Re: File Useability question)
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 19:46:39 +0100

Hi,

On 2004-02-21 19:10:46 +0100 Enrico Sersale <enrico@imago.ro> wrote:

On 2004-02-21 16:37:26 +0200 Dennis Leeuw <dleeuw@made-it.com> wrote:

<snip>

Yep, I do understand that... but imagine an ignorant user. It is not intuitive. He/She creates a file and has an empty file that is of no use. Wouldn't it be nice (more useful) to ask what kind of file is meant and which program the user wants it to be associated with?

I mean what is the use of an empty file?

To rename it with a .m or .h extension and add a new file to your project :)
(Instead of opening your editor, create a new document and then go until the directory where you want to save it). But this is valid only for text files; GW can't create tiff, pdf, jpeg, and so on files.
For this you need an editor for the file type.
Probably, "File->New File" is a mistake; simply, it should not be there. I've added it because I work mainly with text files; for me, "File->New File" represents a usefull feature, because with a command N and a double click I get the new file opened with the nedit wrapper in the right directory.
But I've not considered the users...
I think that I'll rename it "File->New txt file" or, even better, I'll put only a key equivalent for it.

What do you think about this very rough idea similar to MS Windows one:

There will be a well defined place, where templates are put. Like */Library/Templates, plus GWorkspace will
search .app bundles for additional ones (caching them, probably). When you do "New file" you will
be presented with a panel with files (in a list/icons/whatever useable) that you can create. In other words,
user will see a set of "templates" or "prototypes".

Because GWorkspace manages user's workspace/workplace I think, this (creating
files) functionality belogs here too. Concrete example? There are some tasks
where you know that you will requre exact types of files. Say, WordProcessor
document for an article, a presentation and perhaps an A4 poster from some
vector drawing application. You create a directory, create files and edit them.
You do it from single place instead of picking the place from each of
corresponding applications (hint: roles/defaults can be used here :-). User
does need to know which application to use to create/edit those files he wants
- gworkspace already knows that!

I think this is another small step towards hidding application mess from the user and
presenting the user only tools that focus on his tasks. Think of
GWorkspace.app/"Workplace suite apps" as another abstraction layer on top of
files and applications.

As I have said, as this is very rough description, it needs to be refined.

What do you say?

Stefan Urbanek
--
http://stefan.agentfarms.net

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you
win.
- Mahatma Gandhi