Re: File Useability question

From: Uli Kusterer
Subject: Re: File Useability question
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 23:09:01 +0100

In article <mailman.250.1077387488.340.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>,
 Enrico Sersale <enrico@imago.ro> wrote:

> For this you need an editor for the file type.
> Probably, "File->New File" is a mistake; simply, it should not be there. I've
> added it because I work mainly with text files; for me, "File->New File"
> represents a usefull feature, because with a command N and a double click I
> get the new file opened with the nedit wrapper in the right directory.
> But I've not considered the users...

Just an idea: Why don't you expand upon it and make it work? E.g., you
could make this a way to create files from a template. Have a directory
somewhere in which people can put files. Then give File->New File a
submenu listing all the files in that directory. When the user picks one
of these files, it copies the template to where it would have created
the text file (unique-ifying the file name if there is already a file of
that name).

You could have the same functionality that is there now by simply
putting a .txt file into this templates directory. And you could list
the file names alphabetically and give the topmost one Command-N.

Or you could implement the same thing, but instead of a submenu, display
a window with a list from which the user can choose the template to copy.

Cheers,
-- Uli
http://www.zathras.de