Re: Package management

From: Uli Kusterer
Subject: Re: Package management
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 17:58:17 +0100

In article <mailman.1018.1078313605.340.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>,
 Stefan Urbanek <stefan@agentfarms.net> wrote:

> Of course, if there is a solution for package management, we should reuse it.
> In adition we have to move further.

Hi,

 have you had a look at Fink and their program "Fink Commander" ?
    <http://fink.sf.net>
IIRC Fink Commander is written in Cocoa, and would thus probably be a
good basis for a port to GNUstep. It uses an existing package format but
adds some stuff on top of that.

 For those who aren't familiar, Fink provides an easy means to install a
huge number of ported packages on Darwin/MacOS X, resolving dependencies
and all that jazz.

 It's simply a package manager, and not really as intuitive to use for
an installer for end-users, but it might be a good starting point.

Just thought you might be interested,
-- Uli
http://www.zathras.de