Re: Package management

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Package management
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 21:13:54 -0700

On Monday, March 1, 2004, at 02:22 PM, Stefan Urbanek wrote:

As noone picks which functions (and which algorithms) he wants in his libc, we can do similar at higher level with libraries, tools ,apps and frameworks. Bundle them in larger packages. Of course, keeping advanced users in mind. Even NeXT used large packages, so in GNUstep we can have, for example, packages like: Base, Environment, Development, DatabaseDevelopment, WebDevelopment, Communication, Office, Scripting, ...

Well, I like to work with existing packaging systems, since they are generally more mature and more accepted. But I like the idea of large packages on a meta level - perhaps where the Package Manager only distributes and/or installs package sets that are known compatible.