Re: [GSWHackers] Re: OGo/GNUstep cooperation Re: Re[2]: Frameworks integ

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: [GSWHackers] Re: OGo/GNUstep cooperation Re: Re[2]: Frameworks integration
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 13:49:12 +0100

Helge Hess wrote:
On 03.03.2004, at 12:18, David Wetzel wrote:

I can sale or give away copyright to anybody I like.
Or do you think some companies pay money to get a copyrights from other people (like freelancers, or other companies) if that is not possible?

Get informed about current law basics for IT. You cannot. You can only license code to others (on whatever conditions).

I really think, that this tone does not help in the current discussion. As far as I know, nobody on the GNUstep mailing lists is a copyright lawyer and even these would only know about the laws in their specific countries. I also have only faint, farback memories on an article about the differences in German and American Copyright concepts. Still I am rather sure, that things aren't as simple as you state them in this mail. In the skyrix source code I find:
"Copyright (C) 2000-2003 SKYRIX Software AG"
This is in a file that was clearly changed by yourself. So you do accept the concept of copyright transfer. Each of us has, for our day time jobs. So if this is possible, why would it be a fundamentally different problem to assign the copyright to the FSF?

You also did not answer to the mail Gregory send on FLA (Or at least I still did not get an answer from you, currently my GNUstep mailing lists are five days behind.) Sorry Helge, but all of this gives me the feeling, that you want to distract the discussion. I don't understand why you are doing this, but it surely doesn't help in getting people together to work on a common solution. As Manual stated, free software projects are more than anything else build on trust relationships, lets try to build up some more.

Fred