Re: ANN: GWorkspace 0.6.5

From: Enrico Sersale
Subject: Re: ANN: GWorkspace 0.6.5
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 21:39:41 +0300

On 2004-06-07 20:07:40 +0300 Stefan Urbanek <stefan@agentfarms.net> wrote:

On 2004-06-07 18:56:26 +0200 Nicolas Roard <nicolas@roard.com> wrote:
<snip>
But well, I now understand why Enrico did that (to have clean separate parts); it's just that I really hope that in the future the code will be gathered in ONE app (but with the code in bundles, that could be interesting, I agree).

Maybe a drawing of the current state and desired state would help. What do you think? It is better to think when you have diagrams in front of your eyes. Would it be possible to visualise current GWorkspace? Like: what are apps, what are bundles, what are frameworks and how they are connected together and how they copmmunicate.

Sure! And this is an other reason for which I've created many parts: I want to
document all. I'll write documentation for each part that can be considered
done. (and a diagram of all the relations between the various elements)
In the last four years, I've worked alone at GW, but I think that, with a good
documentation, even other people could be involved.
GWorkspace is already full of parts that use bundles and that could, very
easyly, accept contributions and extensions from other people: the file viewers
are bundles, all the contents inspectors are bundles (Inspector can also add on
the fly content inspectors bundles sent as NSData throught DO), the new Finder
uses a bundle for each kind of search criteria, the FSNode framework will use
bundles to display virtually any kind of information in the label of a icon or
in a browser cell, etc..
The only think I need is, probably, a volunteer to help me to put all the stuff
in a good English :-)