Re: ANN: GWorkspace 0.6.5

From: Enrico Sersale
Subject: Re: ANN: GWorkspace 0.6.5
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 14:02:22 +0300

On 2004-06-06 21:10:32 +0300 Nicolas Roard <nicolas@roard.com> wrote:

> Le 4 juin 04, à 13:07, Enrico Sersale a écrit :
>

>> GWorkspace has been splitted in some applications, Desktop, Inspector,
>> Finder, Operation and the file viewers, represented by the old GWorkspace
>> application itself.
>> This is a transition release because also the file viewers will be
>> rewritten soon.
>> But, for the moment, I want to release this work because I've written many
>> new parts that must be tested.
>
> It works well... But why did you split GWorkspace in so many applications ? I
> could understand the needs of a separate Dock program, or possibly even for
> the Desktop. But I'm quite puzzled by Inspector/Operation/Finder as different
> apps ..

The main split is GWorkspace <-> Desktop. But, doing this, I've had to split
also Inspector and Operation because they are used by both the two "main" apps.
Finder is an other thing: it is all new code and it has been easier for me to
think it as a unit. And I take the occasion to explain an other cause that is
behind this split: GWorkspace is four years old and, even if it works very
well, some parts have been written when I was new to Objective-C and -gui was a
disaster. So, I want to rewrite about all; and I think that you know that, in
many cases, to rewrite is easier than to try to patch ugly code...
To do this withouth breaking anything, I've choosen to work rewriting little
elements.
Probably, at the end of this task, some parts will become again a single app.