GNUStep namespace pollution in Debian?

From: Eric Heintzmann
Subject: GNUStep namespace pollution in Debian?
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 15:53:21 +0100

                Hi everybody,

It seems that most debian users/maintainers don't like the over general names of some GNUstep apps.
For example look at this message :

This has been discussed at length before, but basically upstream seems
to pick names that make sense if you have _only_ gnustep installed on
your system, but which are quite confusing in the context of a more
general namespace like Debian's.

I'll add my name to those asking: _Please_ stop packaging gnustep stuff
with these absurdly over-general names.

[The maintainer's previous objection to using a "gnustep-" prefix was
just "Well these aren't _actually_ part of gnustep, they're just clients
that use it"; well, fine, use "gnustep-client-" instead, or whatever,
but please stop using such flimsy excuses to avoid the issue.]

-Miles

I think we need the opinion of upstream authors and the GNUstep community.
Look at these threads:

Don't hesitate to post something in the Debian devel mailing list.

Incriminated packages are :

addresses
clipbook
terminal
imageviewer
camera
charmap
textedit
viewpdf
preferences

Eric

P.S.
To avoid misunderstanding, I want to add that nobody has asked for GNUstep apps renaming, just for GNUstep debian package renaming.