Re: Re: GCC Steering committee's opinion on ObjC++

From: jhclouse
Subject: Re: Re: GCC Steering committee's opinion on ObjC++
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:31:40 -0400

> On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 00:46:02 +0200, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
> <lars.sonchocky-helldorf@hamburg.de> wrote:
> >
> > Some of you might be interested in this
> >
> > http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-06/msg00818.html
> >

> Great news :)
>
> Now let's just hope that Obj-C++ gets supported on platforms other
> than Darwin real soon (or maybe it's already platform-unspecific?)
>
> I eagerly await the ability to tie in GNUstep apps with the vast array
> of C++ libraries out there without having to resort to the kludgery we
> do now.  Perhaps we will  have a native browser soon :)

A concern about that.  From Mark Mitchell's message:

"The default configuration for GCC should not include Objective-C++; a user who
wants Objective-C++ should explicitly use --enable-languages."

Won't this produce a lot of "I tried to build SomeApp.app and it didn't work at
all" on GNUstep mailing lists when somebody builds his own compiler or a
clueless distro doesn't include it?  Shouldn't ObjC++ be pushed for as a
default build option?