Does GNUstep work on 64-bit platforms?

From: Armando Di Cianno
Subject: Does GNUstep work on 64-bit platforms?
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 16:26:35 -0400

Hello all.

I've tried bringing this up before, in different contexts, but simply, does GNUstep work on 64-bit platforms?

I'm writing ebuilds (gentoo installation scripts), and have had a lot of great feedback from users in the Gentoo community. I've actually been offered a dev/maintainer-ship spot for this, which is good for GNUstep and Gentoo, I believe.

Anyways, users on 64-bit platforms (amd64) have been having _weird_ problems. I created an installation script from the libffi-2.00_beta that's parked in gcc-3.4.0, and that seemed to solve 64-bit users 'exploding' at startup. Actually, some, and most apps I've written ebuilds for so far, install and run (so I hear from those users). However, GNUMail is crashing when the user clicks Cancel or Apply in the Preferences pane. Please find attached the GNUMail.debug output, and backtrace (yes, i've already posted to the GNUMail-dev list). I know the core libs weren't built with debugging info, but hopefully this output already explains a little. The users have tried gcc-3.3.3 and gcc-3.4.0. I'm working on an infrastructure for users to easily switch from one to the other, on Gentoo.

So, I suppose my questions are:
- if you want 64 bit support, you're using libffi, and not ffcall, right? - has anyone run GNUstep and apps nicely on 64-bit platforms? What compiler version? What libffi version (which gcc pulled from?)
- can anyone offer help on this particular GNUMail error?

Sorry for not being able to shed more light on this myself; the world of debugging Objective-C applications is actually kind of new to me, considering the time I've been using it. :-\

Thanks a million,
__Armando Di Cianno

<user_error_output.txt>