Re: Gorm manual Table of Contents...

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: Gorm manual Table of Contents...
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:55:37 -0400

One thing I haven't decided on yet is the medium. I want to use something which is at once easy to write in, but looks good in paper form. I also want something people can add to as the work will be under the GPL so that code samples are freely usable and since many people have suggested not using the
GFDL because of it's somewhat non-free nature.

GNU "texinfo" is one possibility. It is a bit clunky syntax-wise, but has excellent support for translation into HTML, PDF, "info", and plain text. The GNUstep core base and gui libraries use it for their manuals.

Another possibility is GSdoc, the GNUstep XML format developed for automatically documenting Objective C classes, but also for writing manuals by hand. Think of it as a lighter-weight version of DocBook that comes for free with GNUstep. The con at the moment is that it only outputs HTML format, not PDF.

Regarding materials, I assume you have seen the excellent tutorial at http://gnustep.made-it.com/GSPT/xml/Tutorial_en.html by Dennis Leuew, and the shorter versions by Nicola Pero at gnustep.it..