Re: System fonts

From: stefan
Subject: Re: System fonts
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:56:22 +0200

Citát Jeff Teunissen <deek@d2dc.net>:

> Pete French wrote:
> >
> > > That still does not explain why the default font should be changed,
> > > especially to the much-uglier FreeSans. It's unhinted, fuzzy, and
> generally
> > > a pain to look at, much less use.
> >
> > All those points are true, but more ugly does not mean less useful.
> >
> > > If you need non-Latin 1 characters (don't confuse this with encoding),
> use a
> > > different font.
> >
> > Yes, but, aside from americans maybe, thats pretty much everyone on
> > the planet isnt it ? Defaults should be the most useful surely, not
> > necessarily the prettiest. Shipping a system with large chunks of
> > characters missing by default seems foolish when there is a workable
> > alternative.
>
> There are 267 glyphs in the standard Vera font set, covering ISO Latin 1 and
> ISO Latin 15 (The Latin 15 character set is the same as Latin 1 but contains
> the Euro symbol instead of the "stone" generic currency symbol), plus
> accents for creating composite glyphs and some math symbols.
>
> ISO Latin 1 contains characters for the Western European languages. English,
> French, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, German, the Scandinavian languages,
> and so on. That is most of the people who use GNUstep.
>
> It doesn't contain Cyrillic characters (I think that's Latin 2, which has
> multiple encodings -- ISO 8859-2, KOI8-R, etc), which are used in many
> Eastern European languages. Some people in countries writing in languages
> that use the Cyrillic characters also use GNUstep.

Just a note for clarification: ISO 8859-2 is not Cyrillic as the name suggests,
it is "Latin 2". It is used, besides others, by most slavic languages that do
not use cyrillic, such as Slovak, Czech, Polish, Slovenian, ...

For more information see this quickly searched link:
http://nl.ijs.si/gnusl/cee/charset.html

Stefan