Re: System fonts

From: Pete French
Subject: Re: System fonts
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:01:41 +0100

O.K., I see the point about UI's which I hadnt previously considered as I
dont use Gorm / IB for creating interfaces.

> ISO Latin 1 contains characters for the Western European languages. English,
> French, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, German, the Scandinavian languages,
> and so on. That is most of the people who use GNUstep.

...but it's not what most of those people necessarily want to type. My
problem is with text input, not UI. I may be an english speaker, but I
quite often have a need to type non English words - mainly place names.
Try giving street addresses in Prague and you run up against this very fast.
Whilst I am happy to drop accents left right and centre, this is rude
to the locals :-)

So, my alternative suggestion would be to use Vera by default for
interfaces, but to use FreeSans by default for text input boxes possibly ?
That way people who read english can still use the apps "out of the box" to
write text in their own languages.

-bat.