Re: System fonts

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: System fonts
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 00:57:21 +0200

Banlu Kemiyatorn wrote:
I'm agreeing with neither doing glyph substitution in the backend nor trying
to mix 2 fonts into one. If one want to do that, I think it is better to do that
with fontforge. However, I think it is not a bad idea to do glyph substitution
in AppKit level. ie. (I think this is also Mac OS X's behavior) if one set
a string to a font which doesn't provide the neccessary glyph, AppKit should
be optionally changed the characters to the font that contains the available
glyphs.

I want to second Banlu on this, what is missing is the frontend handling of fonts missing in the backend font, not some fancy mixing of fonts in the backend. Apple has documented a clean way to do this and we should stick to that, unless we have good reasons not to do so.

Fred