Re: System fonts

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: System fonts
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 11:11:54 -0400

From: Kazunobu Kuriyama <kazunobu.kuriyama@nifty.com>
To: Yen-Ju Chen <yjchenx@hotmail.com>
CC: discuss-gnustep@gnu.org
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 18:28:46 +0900

Yen-Ju Chen wrote:

 [snip]
> In other word, only one font is used to display everything.
> Does font substitute work for you ?

What a shame! It seems to me that back-xlib was implemented by someone who
might be ignorant of what fontconfig is for.

 I think it's because GNUstep has its own defaults (NSFont, NSBoldFont).
So back-xlib does not really use fontconfig (fonts.conf) to do font substitute.
 By the way, can fontconfig really do the font substitute ?
 If so, it is a good way to use it to implement the font substitue.

 [snip]

> Maybe we should write a document in the LanguageSetup.gsdoc about
> using back-xlib.

Could you tell me it more specifically? What's your idea on that?

Just add a new session in LanguageSetup.gsdoc, which now only contains back-art.
(http://www.gnustep.org/resources/documentation/User/Gui/LanguageSetup.html)

 Ask user to install freetype and fontconfig and use back-xlib.
 Have encoding and locale correctly set.
Use font panel in Ink.app to check the available fonts and specify them in GNUstep defaults.
 That's it. Very simple.

 Yen-Ju

Regards,
- Kazunobu Kuriyama