Re: System fonts

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: System fonts
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:29:45 -0400

From: MJ Ray <mjr@dsl.pipex.com>
To: discuss-gnustep@gnu.org
Date: 27 Aug 2004 18:14:28 GMT

"Yen-Ju Chen" <yjchenx@hotmail.com> wrote:
>   And there is one which use Xft (freetype) and/or fontconfig to draw
> character (XftDrawString16).
[...]
>   AntiAlias: YES, FontSet: NO => XftDrawString16(), create font cache if
> fontconfig doesn't exist

Are you sure about this? I think it's my situation. If I set NSFont to
"sans" (an alias defined in fonts.conf) then it just can't be found. Why?
How can I debug this?

 It's from my exprience, not from the source code.
 I think GNUstep don't care about the fonts.conf used by fontconfig.
 I always use the font panel of Ink.app to check the available fonts,
 then set them as NSFont, NSBoldFont, etc.
 The alias in fonts.conf actually has not effect on GNUstep.
 If the font doesn't show up in font panel (like sans),
 you can not use it.

 Yen-Ju