Re: System fonts

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: System fonts
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 01:09:51 -0400

From: Adrian Robert <arobert@cogsci.ucsd.edu>
To: GNUstep discussion list <discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 17:58:22 -0400

 [snip]
Maybe if we can get a complete set of links to relevant Cocoa / OpenStep docs posted here (or, absent sufficient guidance in said docs, a consensus) then someone can work on this, since those who understand the specs already and those who have time and/or care about this issue seem not to be the same.. ;-)

 I think many of people (including me) having less ability to write codes
 are just advocating the idea of font substitute.
 Since 2002, GNUstep improves the supporting of i18n quite well.
 First the encoding conversion is fixed. XIM input is used and improved.
 Freetype is used in both back-xlib and back-art.
 Now, the font substitute is the hotspot.
[NSFont setPreferedFont:] is implemented but there is no GNUstep defaults to set it.
 [NSFont coveredCharacterSet] need to work with backend.
 The speed surely will slow down with font substitute,
but there are some assumptions which can be made, such as the first 128 characters
 always exist for every font, or even the first 256 characters.
 The speed can be improved once the first implementation is done.
And another GNUstep defaults can be used to turn on/off this feature for people who need it. For example, if NSPreferedFont = ("English Font", "Chinese Font") is set in GNUstep defaults,
 font substitute is turned on automatically.

 Yen-Ju