Re: Font substitution (Was: System fonts)

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: Font substitution (Was: System fonts)
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 12:40:05 -0400

From: Kazunobu Kuriyama <kazunobu.kuriyama@nifty.com>
To: Alexander Malmberg <alexander@malmberg.org>
CC: discuss-gnustep@gnu.org, Yen-Ju Chen <yjchenx@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 06:22:22 +0900

Alexander Malmberg wrote:

Since this seems to be a common request, I'll look at implementing this soon (I was going to say after the release, but with the delay, well, we'll see :).

Good news.

 It's indeed a great news.

 [snip]

* Performance
(for back-art, but most of it applies to back-xlib as well)

[snip]

Which characters you use in a text doesn't have any principle effect on the performance. However, there are a lot of caches involved, and that might have an effect.

 [snip]

 As some people ask me about the preformance of Chinese system,
 I would like to clarify something.
 First, I mention "slow" because it is noticable,
 but it does not prevent me from normal use.
Second, it happends on a lot of application/toolkit/platform/OS I ever used.
 Even the Mac is slow when handling a lot of Chinese text.
 (IE on windows is fast by the way. :)
I'm comparing the Chinese vs latin, not GNUstep vs other system (windows, GTK, etc).
 Therefore, GNUstep with Chinese does not slower than any other system.
 I think it always involves in cache and optimization.
The reason that I mention the performance with Chinese is because I notice it,
 not because I complain it. Kind of used to it.
 Hope people won't have an impression that text system of GNUstep is slow.
 It's not, and it is not optimized for CJK yet.

 Yen-Ju