GUI Servers

From: Joseph Graham
Subject: GUI Servers
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 14:28:48 -0600

Sorry if this is off-topic but I figure that this group would have the
greatest expertise in *Step-ish platform portability.

I am currently working on a Cocoa project with Objective-C and am _LOVING_
it.  I really love developing with Objective-C since it's so much like
Smalltalk and it's ^fast^ both in terms of development and runtime.  I also
have WebObjects5 installed on a Windows machine.  I noticed that my
Foundation Kit code is pretty much portable and if I am willing to endure
some pain I can even get some level of portability with my GUI code.

My question is does anyone know of any libraries out there that will support
win32 Objective-C _GUI_ development?  I know that there is a porting effort
on Sourceforge that seeks to replicate Foundation Kit and even throws in
Boehm Garbage Collection support (*cool*).  What I would ^like^ to see is
something that that captures all the window server / pasteboard server stuff
as Win32 API calls and can load IB Nibs.  The reason I am asking is that I
really like the platform for development but redistributing apps with these
process dependencies on Win32 seems really kludgy.  Does anyone else have
any thoughts on this?  I know that GUI servers on *nix platforms are pretty
common starting with X11 and moving from there but on Win32 makes for a
redist nightmare.  I hope someone will correct me on my technical misgivings
here.  Thanks again for your time and apologies if this post if off-topic.

Regards,
Joe Graham