Re: GNUStep apps for Windows

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: GNUStep apps for Windows
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 10:46:31 -0700 (PDT)

Rick,

See below...

--- Rick VanNorman <rcvn@neverslow.com.com> wrote:

> Let me clarify my question just a bit. I have been given the task
> of migrating an OS X application into a cross-platform application.
> QT isn't a good solution, because the originator of the code
> doesn't want to port the code to C++, and QT doesn't support a
> clean interface to Objective-C. The originator assures me that the
> app really only uses a small portion of the GUI part of Cocoa, and
> that the bulk is purely Objective-C data manipulation. To add to
> the issue, there is a short timeline for this porting effort.
>
> So the question is really: is it possible, today, to compile some
> subset of GNUStep for Windows resulting in a useful GUI application
> that could be distributed?

Much clearer.  :)  I don't believe that the Windows backend is ready for prime
time use.   It is usable, but it is currently experimental and is very likely
to have bugs.   We do have some people working on it to improve it.

> That still might not be the correct question, but is certainly
> closer than I got to it before.

Much better, yes, thanks. :)

> Thanks,
> Rick

Thanks, GJC

=====
Gregory John Casamento
-- CEO/President Open Logic Corp. (A Maryland Corporation)
#### Maintainer of Gorm for GNUstep.