Re: Starting GNUstep (Debian)

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: Starting GNUstep (Debian)
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 22:07:22 +0200

Am 24.09.2004 um 21:00 schrieb Alex Perez:

You should note, however, that I am most definately an advocate of turning GNUstep *INTO* a desktop environment.
But neither you or I have control over this aspect, unfortunately.

Why?

Perhaps you should just re-word your wishes from "turning GNUstep into ..." to "integrate GNUstep into ..." or "develop ... around GNUstep".

Obviously, one big advantage fo GNUstep is, it's a development framework almost idependent from some specific OS or GUI setup. Apps written using GNUstep should work on various UNIces, Windows, Mac OS X, using X11, the native GUI or no GUI at all. Well, ideally.

As long as you respect this part of GNUstep, I can't see anything stopping you from firing up your favourite IDE and hacking away on some desktop environment.

If you want really tight integration between core GNUstep libraries and your environment, add another backend. Then, there whould be X11, native and GNUstep Desktop.

Cheers,
Markus

P.S.: Don't bother too much about wether the project is hosted at gnustep.org or not.

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter