Re: WindowMaker as GNUstep application

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: WindowMaker as GNUstep application
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 12:28:29 +0000

Le 13 nov. 04, à 11:19, Enrico Sersale a écrit :

www.gnustep.it/enrico/wmaker.tar.gz

Only an experiment I've made today.
The X events are got in the NSRunLoop of the applications and then passed to the usual WindowMaker function. Nothing else, for the moment.

To install WMaker.app:

1) give a ./configure ; make in the base directory. This builds the "usual" wmaker executable and some libraries needed by our app. (no need to install but you can, this is only the wmaker tou're already using)
2) cd into "gnustep"
3) ./configure
4) make install (don't use "debug=yes" because the *.c files doesn't compile if DEBUG is defined)
5) edit your .xinitrc and change "exec wmaker" with "openapp WMaker".
6) think at something interesting to add to our window manager application :-)

I'm running WMaker.app since a few hours and I'm not noticing any problem.

Looks very interesting !
Could be a nice platform for us -- send gnustep notifications when iconifying, etc., and leave the management of icons, dock, clip, to gnustep apps using thoses notifications... so it will be easy to write docks, panels, clips, etc. ... use -gui for drawing windows too... It would turn WMaker as a really perfect WM for GNUstep. Ideally the changes should go to the main WMaker if they agree..

--
Nicolas Roard
 -Arthur C. Clarke