Re: WindowMaker as GNUstep application

From: Banlu Kemiyatorn
Subject: Re: WindowMaker as GNUstep application
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 21:16:08 +0700

Hi,
Just a side note. I'm wondering if this is a good thing to tie desktop
notification
system to NS. I think it is better to try to extend NET_WM et al. in WMaker
to manage stuffs and I don't think it is too ideal to use only X communication.
There are many applications outside GNUstep world that should rely on these
desktop managements and informations. Though it could be good in short term
and that may worth it. But I still think it is better to focus on
other things like
unify configuration and decorations, eg. replacing WINGs with GNUstep
(although a basic layer for importing and exporting configurations should be
enough and simply use X messaging channels that already provided by WMaker,
those that WPrefs is using). Thus, using NSWindow to do window decoration
will be expensive because it will allocate memory in the backend for each and
most of the time most part of it isn't visible since covered by the
app. A custom
window class mixing both types of windows should solve the problem though.