Re: the gnustep wreckage. Part 1: windowmaker and user apps

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: the gnustep wreckage. Part 1: windowmaker and user apps
Date: 19 Nov 2004 10:14:28 GMT

Riccardo <multix@ngi.it> wrote:
> The experiences here recollect  some hours of working with CVS version
> of gnustep core and all its applications [...]

IMO, if you're using CVS, all bets are off. Expect it to break. It nearly
always has for me. If you can isolate the problem, the bug tracker is
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group_id=99 or bug-gnustep@gnu.org

If you can't isolate the problem, try the most recent released versions
and report the bug if you can reproduce it.

> now some additional observations
> - I did not notice strange focus problems when running non-gnustep
> applications (say motif, Athena, etc) application under windowmaker 0.91
> so if it is a wmaker bug it is not triggered easily by other apps
> - running mwm makes all the 1,2,3 bugs of above disappear! so still
> gnustep shows them only when in combination with wmaker 0.91 at my place

This second point still makes me think there is probably some wmaker bug,
as well as any GNUstep bug you're seeing.  Window management can be a very
fiddly thing which is difficult to get right. I always have problems with
certain GTK applications that seem to destroy windows in a strange order.